This is the button model, the mould and the cast results. Also you can see the cut-down skull ornaments I found which will go on the greatcoat collar. All items now need to be painted in a brass effect scheme.
As you can see the greatcoat buttons are cheap and plain. I want skull motif buttons and after searching around (should have used the skulls that I put on the laspistol!) I found another plastic skull from my sons toy pirate ship. It is not ideal due to the ‘snarling’ expression, but it’ll suffice.
Next step to finish modelling the button before casting.
So here is the greatcoat being worn. You can see that the sleeves are too short for my gorilla arms, as is the length. It needs to be mid-calf. The collar is also too low and needs to be stiffened.
So, I removed the collar entirely and made a replacement which has a layer of calico and bondaweb inside to stiffen it. I also added a regimental flash to the left collar.
So, here’s the WIP paint job. I added chipped paint effect to the green and gave it a dirty wash. Only thing is that the wash clearly shows big brush strokes, so it doesn’t look to good. Unless it also looks like a filthy weapon that someone has repeatedly attempted to wipe clean.
The worn effect on the trigger area and mag needs to be toned down I think and I’m still undecided what to do further with the barrel and silver feature on the weapon top.